Wednesday, April 16, 2014

An Early Mother's Day Card...

It's been forever since I've made a card, and yesterday I just couldn't take it any more.  I've missed creating.  I didn't feel awesome, but I pulled out some stamps anyway.  I had my eye on Clearly Besotted Challenge #10: Spring and Curtain Call Challenge: Confetti Crush, but didn't have the time to really ponder a layout, so I visited Pinterest.  Instead of finding a layout idea, I found this beautiful piece of art.
Source: Illustration by Margaret Berg
Nothing says spring to me like flowers, and the flowers in Clearly Besotted's Remember set were perfect to recreate this look.  To create the card I inked up a solid flower image, stamped the flower on a sheet of acetate, spritzed it with water, and then pressed the acetate onto the white piece of cardstock.  I wiped the acetate sheet after each use, but not super thoroughly so each time I stamped a new flower and transferred the image to the cardstock, hints of the previous colors got transferred in other areas as well.  The look and size of the flowers changed depending on how much water I spritzed on the image and how much the acetate sheet wiggled when I pressed the spritzed image on the cardstock. Each flower turned out differently, but I think that's what I like the most about it.
The Curtain Call Challenge inspired my color palette as well as the splattered dots...that's my interpretation of confetti.  The aqua dots are a little hard to see, but they are indeed there.
After all the ink dried (which didn't take long), I went back in with a black pen and drew some very sketchy leaves.  Then I inked up the line drawn flowers in CB's Remember set and stamped just a few images in black.  I stamped the flower centers in various colors and finished the card off with a sentiment from Winnie & Walter's The Big, the Bold, and the Happy set.
This was actually my practice sheet, but I figured I could never recreate the exact same thing, so I just trimmed down the white panel to fit on a card and backed it with hibiscus burst cardstock.  My mom's favorite color is pink, so it worked out perfectly.  I know it's been so quiet around here lately, and I'm not sure if any one even really looks at my blog anymore, so thank you if you stopped by today!
Supplies
Stamps: Clearly Besotted (Remember), Winnie & Walter (The Big, the Bold, and the Happy)
Ink: PTI (hibiscus burst, pure poppy, summer sunrise, true black), SU! (orchid opulence)
Cardstock: PTI (hibiscus burst), Recollections (white)
Other: SU! (aqua painter, watercolor wonder crayon), black pen

24 comments:

  1. gorgeous! I've missed your entries, Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on my sidebar, so when you make something, it comes up! I always check on you!! This is absolutely fabulous! I could never make something that looks like this...I love it Lindsey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...gorgeous, love your take on the inspiration photo. Those blooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so delighted to see you on your blog, Lindsey! I'm glad you took some crafty time and WOW, did you ever make the most of it! This card is worthy of framing! Your watercolor backdrop for your sketching and images is superb! Your mother will display this as art and love it forever!! You blew me away when you said this was your 'practice' piece! You rock!! Come again soon, please, and Happy Easter to you and your family!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Lindsey! A nearly perfect take on the inspiration photo, and to think it's a practice sheet! Love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this card is amazing you've inspired me to try this technic
    It's really beautiful
    Hugs Susie Sugar x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty card!!! Great take on the inspiration photo!! I love...love the blooms and the big sentiment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You blow me away! And WOW this is gorgeous! The colors scream feminine, so it's a perfect card for mom or any other lucky gal! Lindsey, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card Lindsey - the colors are gorgeous & the sketched leaves terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a beautiful work of art, Lindsey - your talent never fails to amaze me :) Thank you so much for playing along with the Clearly Besotted Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful card! Love the technique you used! Need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ... or rather WOW, Lindsey ... this is simply stunning ... the colours are completely delicious and I love the soft, sketchy feel! This was your practice piece ... what?? Awesome ... it should be framed ... I guess your Mom will do that! BTW ... I have you on Feedly so I'll never miss when you post, no matter how frequent or infrequent that might be! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see you back creating Lindsey. You knocked the inspiration out of the park. This is absolutely stunning! Happy Easter to you and your family! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo, you played with water and acetate. How lovely. I just can't get enough of this watercolor trend. And your colors are the colors my bridesmaids wore way back when (chinese red, fuschia, violet)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindsey, this is absolutely gorgeous! Good to see you back. Happy Easter and thank you so much for joining us the Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What an awesome card you made from that Pinterest inspiration! And this was you 'practice card'?? Um, can you say "talented"? Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning Lindsey. I hope you had a wonderful Easter. We did! Sorry I missed this one .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lindsey, this is gorgeous! Such an awesome take on the Pintrest inspiration and thanks for explaining the process. Maybe I'll get brave and try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect take on the inspiration photo. Those colours are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, wow, this is stunning! Fabulous card, Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous! Saw this on Pinterest and wanted to know how you got this effect. Thank you so much for the explanation. I totally have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful! I hope you don't mind, but I immediately CASEd your card (with full credit where it is due, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful! I hope you don't mind, but I immediately CASEd this (giving credit where it is due, of course!)

    ReplyDelete