Wednesday, January 16, 2013

PTI MIM #100: Packaging Cards with Oversized Embellisments

 
There are always new supplies I want in the paper crafting world, but I'm trying to downsize. My stash has gotten too big for my space. Plus, I have so many things that I just had to have, but have never or barely used. I'm terrible about not using the things I love the most because I'm afraid that I won't like how my project will turn out and then I won't have that item anymore. Silly, huh? Anyway, I've made a mini-resolution to use my stuff...or get rid of it. So that's what I did with this card.  I love yellow and grey, and these papers fall into the "I bought these because I love, love, loved (and still do!) them but never used them" category. 
I also knew I wanted to use this card for this week's Make it Monday at PTI because it is oversized in two ways - the flower hangs off the side and the flower is fat (that's probably not the best word to use, but my brain is tired today).
I love glassine bags, but don't have any on hand, and I actually really want to stick this card in the mail, so I decided to make an envelope box.  I realize this will cost extra to mail, but I don't care.  It's useful, and I'm sure I'll make more of these.
The outside of the envelope is simple.  I couldn't do too much because I need room to write the addresses and have to leave the typical spaces for the post office to do their thing.  I realize I'm not the first person to make an envelope box, but this is the first time I've made one, and I put a lot of thought in how I wanted it designed.  I did make 3 until I got just what I wanted, but practice makes perfect right?  I obviously needed it to be just the right size for the intended card, but I also wanted as few flaps to glue down as possible, and I wanted the flaps to be completely hidden.  I also wanted it to be simple, and something I could easily adjust for future cards.  The best part is that it only takes one 8.5x11 sheet of cardstock, which I always have on hand.  It's finished dimensions are 6x4.5x.25.
I lined the inside of the envelope with the same papers I used on the card, and then on the outside I wanted the washi tape look, but don't have any (I know, I should probably jump on that bandwagon), so I just ripped some paper and glued it on.  Here it is with the card tucked inside.
Envelope Box Supplies
Stamps: Mehndi Medallion (PTI), Fifth Avenue Floral (SU)
Ink: Basic Gray (SU), Lemon Tart (PTI)
Paper: Breeze Paper Pad (MME), Cowboy Paper Pad (MME), White (PTI) 
 
Card Supplies
Stamp: Signature Greetings (PTI)
Ink: Basic Gray (SU), Tea Dye Duo (PTI)
Paper: Breeze Paper Pad (MME), Cowboy Paper Pad (MME), White (PTI)
Other: Tattered Florals Dies (Tim Holtz), button brad (MM), pinking shears, white thread

4 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING!!! The card is stunning and your envelope you have created is fabulous. Love the details. I have a bunch of Washi Tape I need to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lindsey! I'm here coz your sis Shauna recommended me your blog. I'm glad I came. What a great tutorial this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you used those supplies - your card and matching envelope box are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love your how to, and you even made it lovely to receive. A gift within a gift!

    ReplyDelete